Sunday, August 7, 2022

True Love . . . for Challenge YOUrself and Art Journal Journey Monthly!

Hi everyone. It's August 7th and time for a new challenge at Challenge YOUrself!

August's challenge is to create a page about tough times in your life:

Everyone has rough patches and difficult times in their lives.  Sometimes it helps to just talk about them and document what you went through.  That is what this challenge is all about.  Challenge YOUrself wants you to get out of your comfort zone this month!

I was inspired to create my layout about the 2 hardest things in my life that I lived through - first, the death of my sister, Cathy, and second and more recently, the death of my mom.  Cathy battled ovarian cancer for many years and passed away at the age of 52 and my mom had dementia and passed away at the age of 89.  

Here is the photo that I used that was taken on Mother's Day of this year:

Mother's Day always reminds me of my sister's and mom's love, but sometimes I feel sad as well.  Here, our dog, Abbey, gave me a great big kiss and helped me to feel much happier.  Dogs really are our best friends, aren't they?  We always had a dog and that is one of the fond memories I have of my childhood!!!

Here is my completed page:

I used Vicki Boutin's papers and embellishments to make my page. 

Sharing some different views of my project:


 
I hope you get a chance to check out Challenge YOUrself this month. Making this page was wonderful therapy for me!

I am also linking my project to Art Journal Journey, Monthly.

 

This month's theme is When We Were Young and is hosted by the talented Chris from Pearshapedcrafting.  Thank you, Chris and AJJ for having this wonderful challenge!

And thank YOU for stopping by my blog today.  I hope you have an awesome August! 

 

6 comments:

  1. I am dreading the day the Mom passes. She is 92, almost 93, with dementia, and it is sad enough dealing with that. And what you say about dogs is so true. I have to say the days we have lost other dogs we have had were also some of my saddest. It's hard to find a better friend, isn't it? Anyhow, before I get too off track, I love how you linked up to AJJ about your dog. I grew up with them too, and they are part of some of my earliest memories. Abbey looks like a sweetie. Your page is wonderful. You used some fantastic bright colors which are very joyful. Thanks so much for joining us for Chris' challenge. I hope August is going well for you. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how prepared we may think we are the death of a family member is always hard. I'm pleased your dog cheered you up - we always had pets, aways a dog and cat...and various others at times too! The colours you have used here are uplifting! You've certainly cheered me up by sharing this for my AJJ theme . Having a bit of an up and down time with family at the moment- need to make some cheerful pages! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art journals really do act as therapy and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of the saddest moments in my life as well - the death of my sister and my mother. I need to do a page like this as well. I love that you focused on the happy side - your dog's love, bright colors, and that we will be alright. Lovely page, Sharon. I always love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, losing your mum is one of the hardest parts of living. Never having grown up with a sister I can only imagine the bond between two sisters and it must be heartbreaking when one has to let go.
    So pleased that your dog gives you the comfort you so need at times of sadness. There is nothing like the love of a dog is there? Always loyal, they come back time and time again when needed. One of my saddest times is the loss of my dog (and afterwards my cat) along with the loss of family and close friends.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you commenting on my blog today! I cherish each and every comment!